In this study you will see human and monkey faces
as well as modern art and asked to rate the images for pleasantness.
Before you begin please fill in your:
Age (in years):
Sex: Male Female
What nationality are you?
select a region
What is your ethnicity?
Please selectWhiteAfro-CarribeanIndianPakistaniBangladeshiChineseJapaneseSouth East AsianOther AsianNative AmericanHispanic AmericanPolynesianOther
Sexuality - HeterosexualHomosexualBisexual
Are you left- or right-handed:
Do you have a current
partner? yes no
Please tell us about
your appearance. Do you consider yourself to be
Please tell us about
1. Think of the scale below as representing where people stand in your country. Those at the top are the best off - those who have the most money, the most education, and the most respected jobs. Those at the bottom are the worst off - those who have the least money, the least education, and the least respected jobs or no job.
Choose a number reflecting where you think you stand, at this time in your life, relative to other people in your country:
2. Think of the scale below as representing where people stand in their communities. People define community in different ways; please define it in whatever was is most relevent to you. At the top are those people who have the highest standing in thier community. At the bottom are those people who have the lowest standing in thier community.
Choose a number reflecting where you think you stand, at this time in your life, relative to other people in your community:
What is the highest educational
level/diploma/degree that you have obtained?
completed 4 years of secondary education
completed 6 years of secondary education
Higher education degree: Bachelor (undergraduate)/vocational
Postgraduate degree: Masters/PGCE
Postgraduate degree: Doctorate (PhD)
Your total household income before tax:
Answer in one of:
GB pounds (£):
less than 20,000
20,000 to 40,000
40,000 to 60,000
60,000 to 80,000
80,000 to 100,000
more than 100,000
US dollars ($):
less than 24,000
24,000 to 48,000
48,000 to 72,000
72,000 to 96,000
96,000 to 120,000
more than 120,000
EU Euros ( €):
less than 31,000
31,000 to 62,000
62,000 to 92,000
92,000 to 123,000
123,000 to 154,000
more than 154,000
Please indicate how much you agree with each of the following statements, or how true it is about you. Please write a number (1-5) to indicate your answer:
1 = Strongly disagree (very untrue about me)
2 = Mildly disagree (somewhat untrue about me)
3 = Neither agree nor disagree
4 = Mildly agree (somewhat true about me)
5 = Strongly agree (very true about me)
1. I might be willing to try eating monkey meat, under some circumstances.
2. It would bother me to be in a science class, and to see a human hand preserved in a jar.
3. It bothers me to hear someone clear a throat full of mucous.
4. I never let any part of my body touch the toilet seat in public restrooms.
5. I would go out of my way to avoid walking through a graveyard.
6. Seeing a cockroach in someone else's house doesn't bother me.
7. It would bother me tremendously to touch a dead body.
8. If I see someone vomit, it makes me sick to my stomach.
9. I probably would not go to my favorite restaurant if I found out that the cook had a cold.
10. It would not upset me at all to watch a person with a glass eye take the eye
out of the socket.
11. It would bother me to see a rat run across my path in a park.
12. I would rather eat a piece of fruit than a piece of paper.
13. Even if I was hungry, I would not drink a bowl of my favorite soup if it had been
stirred by a used but thoroughly washed flyswatter.
14. It would bother me to sleep in a nice hotel room if I knew that a man had died of a
heart attack in that room the night before.
How disgusting would you find each of the following experiences? Please write a
number (1-5) to indicate your answer:
1 = Not disgusting at all
2 = Slightly disgusting
3 = Moderately disgusting
4 = Very disgusting
5 = Extremely disgusting
15. You see maggots on a piece of meat in an outdoor rubbish bin.
16. You see a person eating an apple with a knife and fork.
17. While you are walking through a tunnel under a railroad track, you smell urine.
18. You take a sip of soda, and then realize that you drank from the glass that an
acquaintance of yours had been drinking from.
19. Your friend's pet cat dies, and you have to pick up the dead body with your bare hands.
20. You see someone put ketchup on vanilla ice cream, and eat it.
21. You see a man with his intestines exposed after an accident.
22. You discover that a friend of yours changes underwear only once a week.
23. A friend offers you a piece of chocolate shaped like dog poo.
24. You accidentally touch the ashes of a person who has been cremated.
25. You are about to drink a glass of milk when you smell that it is spoiled.
26. As part of a sex education class, you are required to inflate a new unlubricated
condom, using your mouth.
27. You are walking barefoot on concrete, and you step on an earthworm.
Please fill in the following questionnaire on sexual attitudes. If you feel uncomfortable please feel free to not answer these questions.
In GENERAL, how would you rate your sex
How would rate your CURRENT sex drive?
To what extent do you agree with the following statements:
Sex without love is OK.
I can imagine myself being comfortable and enjoying "casual" sex with different partners.
I do not want to have sex with a person until I am sure that we will have a long-term, serious relationship.
I would feel comfortable having sex with someone who already has a long-term partner.
I would feel comfortable having sex with someone else if I already have a long-term partner.
Cheating on a partner is OK.
The next questions involve ideas of dying
How long does the average person of your sex live (if a man guess male lifespan, if a woman guess female lifespan)?
How long do you think you your lifespan will be?
for women only (ignore if male)
Do you currently use a hormonal contraceptive (e.g. pill, injection,
How many days ago did your last period of
menstruation (menstrual bleeding) start? days
Rate the images on the next page for pleasantness...