In this study you will see faces to rate for attractiveness. You will also see a slideshow of things you may or not find disgusting and then asked to judge the images again.
Please complete the full experiment as we cannot use the data if you drop out.
Before you begin please fill in
the questions below. Questions marked with a * are required.
*Age (in years):
*What nationality are you?
select a regionBritishOther
*What is your ethnicity?
Please selectWhiteAfro-CarribeanIndianPakistaniBangladeshiChineseJapaneseSouth East AsianOther AsianNative AmericanHispanic AmericanPolynesianOther
*Sexuality - HeterosexualHomosexualBisexual
Do you have a current
Do you have children?
number of boys
number of girls
Please tell us about your appearance.
Do you consider your FACE to be
Your eye colour:
Mother's eye colour:
Father's eye colour:
Do you have any brothers or sisters?
number of younger brothers
number of older brothers
number of younger sisters
number of older sisters
For your brother closest in age:
How old are they?
Brother's eye colour:
For your sister closest in age:
How old are they?
Sister's eye colour:
Please indicate how much you agree with each of the following statements, or how true it is about you. Please write a number (1-5) to indicate your answer:
1 = Strongly disagree (very untrue about me)
2 = Mildly disagree (somewhat untrue about me)
3 = Neither agree nor disagree
4 = Mildly agree (somewhat true about me)
5 = Strongly agree (very true about me)
1. I might be willing to try eating monkey meat, under some circumstances.
2. It would bother me to be in a science class, and to see a human hand preserved in a jar.
3. It bothers me to hear someone clear a throat full of mucous.
4. I never let any part of my body touch the toilet seat in public restrooms.
5. I would go out of my way to avoid walking through a graveyard.
6. Seeing a cockroach in someone else's house doesn't bother me.
7. It would bother me tremendously to touch a dead body.
8. If I see someone vomit, it makes me sick to my stomach.
9. I probably would not go to my favorite restaurant if I found out that the cook had a cold.
10. It would not upset me at all to watch a person with a glass eye take the eye
out of the socket.
11. It would bother me to see a rat run across my path in a park.
12. I would rather eat a piece of fruit than a piece of paper.
13. Even if I was hungry, I would not drink a bowl of my favorite soup if it had been
stirred by a used but thoroughly washed flyswatter.
14. It would bother me to sleep in a nice hotel room if I knew that a man had died of a
heart attack in that room the night before.
How disgusting would you find each of the following experiences? Please write a
number (1-5) to indicate your answer:
1 = Not disgusting at all
2 = Slightly disgusting
3 = Moderately disgusting
4 = Very disgusting
= Extremely disgusting
15. You see maggots on a piece of meat in an outdoor rubbish bin.
16. You see a person eating an apple with a knife and fork.
17. While you are walking through a tunnel under a railroad track, you smell urine.
18. You take a sip of soda, and then realize that you drank from the glass that an
acquaintance of yours had been drinking from.
19. Your friend's pet cat dies, and you have to pick up the dead body with your bare hands.
20. You see someone put ketchup on vanilla ice cream, and eat it.
21. You see a man with his intestines exposed after an accident.
22. You discover that a friend of yours changes underwear only once a week.
23. A friend offers you a piece of chocolate shaped like dog poo.
24. You accidentally touch the ashes of a person who has been cremated.
25. You are about to drink a glass of milk when you smell that it is spoiled.
26. As part of a sex education class, you are required to inflate a new unlubricated
condom, using your mouth.
27. You are walking barefoot on concrete, and you step on an earthworm.
for women only (ignore if male)
Do you currently use a hormonal contraceptive (e.g. pill, injection,
How many days ago did your last period of
menstruation (menstrual bleeding) start?
Have you used hormonal contraceptives (e.g. pill, injection,
patch) in the past 3 months? Yes
How long is your usual menstrual ( a roughly month long cycle, women average report 28 days)
Are you pregnant? Yes
Have you stopped menstruating for any reason? Yes
Have you gone through menopause? Yes
You will faces to rate for