In this study you will be asked to fill in the questions below. You will also see a slideshow and then asked to do the test again.
Please complete the full experiment as we cannot use the data if you drop out.
Before you begin please fill in
the questions below. Questions marked with a * are required.
*Age (in years):
*What nationality are you?
select a regionBritishOther
*What is your ethnicity?
Please selectWhiteAfro-CarribeanIndianPakistaniBangladeshiChineseJapaneseSouth East AsianOther AsianNative AmericanHispanic AmericanPolynesianOther
*Sexuality - HeterosexualHomosexualBisexual
Do you have a current
Do you have children?
number of boys
number of girls
How many children would like to have in your life time ?
number of boys
number of girls
Please tell us about your appearance.
Do you consider your FACE to be
Please read each adjective pair presented below and click beside the number that best describes you generally. Please complete all questions.
Please indicate how much you agree with each of the following statements, or how true it is about you. Please write a number (1-5) to indicate your answer:
1 = Strongly disagree (very untrue about me)
2 = Mildly disagree (somewhat untrue about me)
3 = Neither agree nor disagree
4 = Mildly agree (somewhat true about me)
5 = Strongly agree (very true about me)
1. I might be willing to try eating monkey meat, under some circumstances.
2. It would bother me to be in a science class, and to see a human hand preserved in a jar.
3. It bothers me to hear someone clear a throat full of mucous.
4. I never let any part of my body touch the toilet seat in public restrooms.
5. I would go out of my way to avoid walking through a graveyard.
6. Seeing a cockroach in someone else's house doesn't bother me.
7. It would bother me tremendously to touch a dead body.
8. If I see someone vomit, it makes me sick to my stomach.
9. I probably would not go to my favorite restaurant if I found out that the cook had a cold.
10. It would not upset me at all to watch a person with a glass eye take the eye
out of the socket.
11. It would bother me to see a rat run across my path in a park.
12. I would rather eat a piece of fruit than a piece of paper.
13. Even if I was hungry, I would not drink a bowl of my favorite soup if it had been
stirred by a used but thoroughly washed flyswatter.
14. It would bother me to sleep in a nice hotel room if I knew that a man had died of a
heart attack in that room the night before.
How disgusting would you find each of the following experiences? Please write a
number (1-5) to indicate your answer:
1 = Not disgusting at all
2 = Slightly disgusting
3 = Moderately disgusting
4 = Very disgusting
5 = Extremely disgusting
15. You see maggots on a piece of meat in an outdoor rubbish bin.
16. You see a person eating an apple with a knife and fork.
17. While you are walking through a tunnel under a railroad track, you smell urine.
18. You take a sip of soda, and then realize that you drank from the glass that an
acquaintance of yours had been drinking from.
19. Your friend's pet cat dies, and you have to pick up the dead body with your bare hands.
20. You see someone put ketchup on vanilla ice cream, and eat it.
21. You see a man with his intestines exposed after an accident.
22. You discover that a friend of yours changes underwear only once a week.
23. A friend offers you a piece of chocolate shaped like dog poo.
24. You accidentally touch the ashes of a person who has been cremated.
25. You are about to drink a glass of milk when you smell that it is spoiled.
26. As part of a sex education class, you are required to inflate a new unlubricated
condom, using your mouth.
27. You are walking barefoot on concrete, and you step on an earthworm.
In the following task you are asked to make a hypothetical (imaginary) choose between receiving a set sum of money tonight or a different sum of money in a set number of days.
Please indicate which of the following chooses you would make by click in the box below the option. Think of each time you make a decision as if it was the only choice you faced. You must not make a decision thinking that you had the money from the previous choice.
or £85 in 14 days
or £55 in 25 days
or £85 in 35 days
or £35 in 43 days
or £35 in 10 days
or £55 in 20 days
or £85 in 35 days
or £30 in 75 days
or £55 in 45 days
or £65 in 70 days
or £35 in 25 days
or £75 in 50 days
or £55 in 10 days
or £35 in 20 days
or £55 in 55 days
or £60 in 50 days
or £70 in 20 days
or £80 in 70 days
or £70 in 35 days
or £30 in 35 days
or £30 in 35 days
Please fill in the following questionnaire on sexual attitudes. If you feel uncomfortable please feel free to not answer these questions.
In GENERAL, how would you rate your sex
How would rate your CURRENT sex drive?
To what extent do you agree with the following statements:
Sex without love is OK.
I can imagine myself being comfortable and enjoying "casual" sex with different partners.
I do not want to have sex with a person until I am sure that we will have a long-term, serious relationship.
I would feel comfortable having sex with someone who already has a long-term partner.
I would feel comfortable having sex with someone else if I already have a long-term partner.
Cheating on a partner is OK.
The next questions involve ideas of dying
How long does the average person of your sex live (if a man guess male lifespan, if a woman guess female lifespan)?
How long do you think you your lifespan will be?
Please indicate how accurately the following statements describe you:
1. I try to surpass others' accomplishments.
2. I do not try to outdo others.
I am quick to correct others.
I do not impose my will on others.
I demand explanations from others.
I do not want to control the conversation.
I am not afraid of providing criticism.
I do not challenge others' points of view.
I lay down the law to others.
I do not put people under pressure.
I get my own way.
I hate to seem pushy.
for women only (ignore if male)
Do you currently use a hormonal contraceptive (e.g. pill, injection,
How many days ago did your last period of
menstruation (menstrual bleeding) start?
Have you used hormonal contraceptives (e.g. pill, injection,
patch) in the past 3 months? Yes
How long is your usual menstrual ( a roughly month long cycle, women average report 28 days)
Are you pregnant? Yes
Have you stopped menstruating for any reason? Yes
Have you gone through menopause? Yes
You will see a slideshow and asked to answer some of the above questions again... it is not a mistake...please answer the questions again...